Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Yard: Where Squash Go To Die.

Okay. I've tried summer squash in containers [below is an oriental variety more like zuccini, really]. I get a few wonderful squash, then end-blossom fruit rot. I tried neem oil, more fertilizer, lime, tears, nothing worked [I suppose there are some fungicides I could use but I read the ingredients and They Are Not Coming In My Yard. I have kitty-cats and bees and stuff to consider.


I'm now trying a few varieties out in the boulevard, but I don't expect much.



They're blossoming but I think it's just to taunt me.


I'm not the only one to have problems though. My friend Elena has only successfully grown them IN her compost pile. I talked to the gardener out at Crowley Museum & Nature Center and he has problems too. However, Worden Farms in Punta Gorda manages it, because they have lovely pattypan squash and zuccinni at the farmers market. I am green with envy. They're local though, so I can feel good about buying them every now and again.

[two days later]. Yes indeed, end blossom fruit rot. So done with squash.

No comments: